Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Kite Runner and the Gospel


A really cool thing that I have enjoyed as a new hobby has been reading. I was never a big reader growing up and it was only about 5-6 months ago that I really got into it. It started with a lot of John Grisham books...I love the law and order type stuff. I read a few christian books and then just recently finished the Kite Runner. First impressions were that this was a great book about a mans redemption from past sins. I finished the book though, took a step back and realized that this really had nothing to do with the gospel. Not that I thought that a book centered in afghanistan with muslim references would be gospel centered but it made me recognize again just how the great the gospel is. The short version of the book is basically this...a man is haunted his entire life by sins he committed in his youth and the only way for him to atone for them, to make himself feel better about his life, is to go and do this "work" that should be good enough to make things in his life better. Now think about how that compares to the Gospel. I'm so glad that the redemptive work of the cross is enough to atone for all of my sins past and present. That I don't have to depend on my good works for my redemption. I didn't expect that a secular book would remind me of the gospel so much. It goes to show that the gospel can be found everywhere, in every situation. It applies to everything. The book is captivating and is a good read. I would definitely recommend the book for anyone who enjoys a good story.

3 comments:

Jason & Kimberly said...

Awesome! Ever heard of Ted Dekker?

Brooks said...

I haven't. I looked him up though and looks like something I would enjoy. Thanks!

Heath said...

Dekker inspired a name for one of my former dogs...good stuff! I would highly recommend the Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, and White) and then When Heaven Weeps. Or maybe just start with When Heaven Weeps.

I enjoyed the post. Bridges to the culture and the gospel are everywhere.