Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

God is enough

I love listening to John Piper and one of his famous sayings is that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. I was thinking about that while going through this with my daughter and just asked the question "what does that mean?" Here's the answer if anybody ever has problems understanding piper, God is enough. In my situation he is enough. He will sustain me, He will provide for me, heal my hurt and forgive me when I fail. He is enough. He is sovereign over this and he will be all I need to get through. When I am tempted to rely on something else to get me through or distract me, he is enough. And through that, by making known that he is enough for me in this situation and every one from this point forward, God will be most glorified. At your lowest point, God is enough. When people see that God is enough at that time in your life then he will be most glorified in you. May my reliance on Christ be ever greater than it is now, may I truly know that HEe is enough for me in this situation and in every other, not so that I may be comforted but that he may be glorified.

3 comments:

keith said...

Brooks - you wrote: "not so that I may be comforted but that he may be glorified."
He IS your comforter - in fact even in this - your comfort - HE IS ENOUGH. And it is when He is your joy, your peace, your hope, and your COMFORT that you are satisfied in Him. SO - your joy is not at odds with His glory. He is glorified in your satisfaction in Him.

Brooks said...

That makes sense...and sounds better than what said...thanks!

Greg Wood said...

Wendy says-
When I occaisionally question the sincerity of my faith, I know that my faith is real because I remember that God gave me faith to trust Him through the toughest trial I've ever had-when I thought my son may soon die from premature birth. Looking back on that hard time, James 1:2-4 is relavent to me. "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. and let endurance have its perfect result so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." I don't know that I considered it joy during the trial, but I am grateful now for that trial.